Hire A Top Class Real Estate Agent Who Will Invest In Your Future
What is the Age Friendly Community?
In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) developed the Global Age-Friendly Cities Project.
This project brought together cities from around the world that were interested in supporting healthy aging by becoming more Age-Friendly.
The government of Canada also emphasizes the importance of growing the senior population.
On its website, an Age-Friendly community has defined that is designed to help seniors “age actively” with the policies, services, and structures related to the physical and social environment. In other words, the community is set up to help seniors live safely by keeping good health and stay involved.
What does an Age-Friendly community look like?
- Outdoor areas and public buildings are pleasant, safe, and accessible.
- Housing is affordable, safe, and well designed for seniors.
- Roads and walkways are accessible- and kept in good shape.
- Public transportation is affordable and accessible.
- Neighborhoods are safe.
- Relationships are respectful.
- Health and community support services are available.
- Opportunities for seniors to be socially active exist.
- Seniors can take part in volunteer, political, and employment positions.
Source: Government of Canada/ public health agency of Canada/ aging & seniors